If you're simply enabling error checking for debugging, here is what I would do: (in descending order of convenience)
- Use gDEBugger or AMD CodeXL and break on error
- Use apitrace or Renderdoc and check the error log
- If your OpenGL implementation is new enough or has the right extensions, use the OpenGL debug hooks
- If your OpenGL implementation is open source, put a breakpoint on the function that sets the error flag
- Finally, if nothing else works, patch the code to wrap all OpenGL calls with a wrapper that calls `glGetError`.