ResidualVM logo Forum Index - ResidualVM website - Contact us - Rules Login    Register     Search curved edge
It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:51 pm 

Hi all,

Long-time fan of Grim and EMI here, who discovered ResidualVM a couple of years ago. Thanks so much for making this excellent program!

If I can, I would like to help out with development, particularly in regard to getting EMI working fully. I have been following the github pull requests over the last few weeks (I hope you didn't mind the comments I added...), and was really pleased to see that a lot of work is being done in this area currently.

I consider myself quite good with C/C++, and have experience with OpenGL programming. Unfortunately I have not used lua before, but I am sure I can learn it.

Do you have any recommendations of what I could start doing? Particular problems that need investigating? I will continue to poke around the codebase, but it would really help me to have some guidance.

Cheers,

Tombsar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:52 pm 
ResidualVM Developer

The easiest way to get going, is probably to join our IRC-channel, #residualvm @ freenode.

Other than that, playing through the game and isolating the issues you spot is usually quite usefull. At the moment, it's possible to play all the way to Monkey Island, with a known outstanding issue there being the lack of working collision detection (which is needed to trigger Monkey Kombat).

Since it's not very well-documented, I'll mention a few things:
* Save games for EMI are not "locked down" yet, so they may be broken between commits.
* Just like in Grim, you can jump to specific parts of the game, just use ctrl-d to open the debug-console, and then type "emi_jump [jump target]". The easy ones to remember are the act-start (100, 200, 300), and act-middle-points (150, 250, 350).