ResidualVM logo Forum Index - ResidualVM website - Contact us - Rules Login    Register     Search curved edge
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Testing: Grim Fandango
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:58 pm 
ResidualVM Developer

We still like to know if there are issues with the current state of ResidualVM, as well as work a bit on the testing-procedures, and so, I would ask those of you who have some time to spare to do the following to assist us by doing the following:

* Grab the 0.1.0pre build from http://www.residualvm.org/downloads/
* Make sure that your game-version detects properly (by removing and readding it if you already had it in your list).
* Make sure that you have the patch (it's enough to just put gfupd101.exe in the game folder) by noting if there are subtitles in the intro-movie.
* Perform a full play-through where you:

* Don't skip any cutscenes or dialogue.
* Try things that aren't directly related to continuing through as fast as possible (i.e. explore the Blue Casket-stuff thorougly).
* Save and load games
* Stick with the same renderer through the entire game (Software or OpenGL, can be selected in the game options in-game).
* Take notes of any and all issues, and if at all possible make a save game right before they happen (and if needed also a screenshot).
* Do NOT update ResidualVM during the playthrough, keep the entire run on one version. (If you do update, please start from the beginning).

Then, take note of your operating system (including version), the renderer used, as well as the revision of ResidualVM you played with and add any issues not already listed on our tracker to: https://github.com/residualvm/residualvm/issues

Finally post in this thread telling us how many problems you encountered, and whether you could complete the game.

If anything in this post, or system is unclear, or missing, please tell me in this thread, and I'll try to make it easier to understand, or add the missing information.

Last edited by somaen on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:25 am 

Just wanted to post saying I completed GF today, with a version of ResidualVM built on February 2nd, on Windows 7 64-bit.

There were not a lot of issues that I encountered, and none that blocked progress. They were basically all graphical glitches. All the dialogue and music seemed to play fine. Also the elevators in the Department of Death could get a little wonky sometimes. I'll try to make a list later. But anyway, it's completable with minimal problems!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:01 pm 

KuroShiro wrote:
Also the elevators in the Department of Death could get a little wonky sometimes.

That may not be a bug, though of course that depends on exactly what you mean with "wonky". My memory of playing the game years ago (using Wine) is that the elevator doors would sometimes not open and close the way you expected them to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:38 am 

The elevator-doors problem is a Grim Fandango problem, not a Residual problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:37 pm 

Ok, I can't figure out how to take screenshots in Residual (ctrl+s, alt+s don't seem to work), but the issues I encountered were:
    - When Manny climbs up the ladder to the tattoo place, he'll seem to be going through the metal area
    - This one is a bit tricky... when you're looking at the cat races track from above, occasionally an animation will play where the cats will run by. If you leave the screen while that animation is playing, it will remain at the bottom of the screen until the animation is finished.
    - Manny will intermittently teleport backwards for no obvious reason. I can't find any specific conditions for this, but it happens throughout the game every now and then.
    - Meche's head will twist to a 90-degree angle in the vault room in Year 3... I vaguely remember this happening in the original, but I'm not sure.
    - The subtitles in cutscenes provided by the patch tend to be out of sync in Year 4, otherwise they're mostly ok. I think this might have been a problem with the original as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:37 am 

Maybe this appears a bit off-topic, but what has a user to do in order to fix the missing dialogue bug?
As of today, is residualvm able to fix this on-the-fly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:37 am 
ResidualVM Developer

yes, you don't need to do anything, as long you have a build compiled after january 6th.

http://lostsoulsalliance.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:29 pm 

you still need more testers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:43 pm 
ResidualVM Developer

Always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:34 pm 

I've copied to HDD and copied the gfupd101.exe into the game directory and it doesn't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:37 pm 

slx wrote:
I've copied to HDD and copied the gfupd101.exe into the game directory and it doesn't work.

The only reason it wouldn't work is if you have an older version of Residual. Maybe try updating?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:55 pm 

KuroShiro wrote:
slx wrote:

The only reason it wouldn't work is if you have an older version of Residual. Maybe try updating?

I downloaded today afternoon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:55 pm 

Just want to say that my GF does not work either with the latest version. It worked just fine this morning with a release from last week.

I get an error saying "Could not find colormap yr1_pal1.c!".

Before anyone suggests otherwise, my game is original :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:05 pm 

kelmer wrote:
Just want to say that my GF does not work either with the latest version. It worked just fine this morning with a release from last week.

I get an error saying "Could not find colormap yr1_pal1.c!".

Before anyone suggests otherwise, my game is original :)

I got the same error!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:12 pm 
ResidualVM Developer

Already fixed, so build residualvm again or wait for a newer build. :)

http://lostsoulsalliance.wordpress.com