ResidualVM logo Forum Index - ResidualVM website - Contact us - Rules Login    Register     Search curved edge
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:23 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:36 pm
Posts: 36
ultraneonoirantihero wrote:
Every exe I try to run says: "... it's not a valid Win32 application".

Since I'm using Win XP 32-bit, maybe it's trying to use some 64-bit libraries? I Googled the problem and there is a tutorial how to export Win32 compatible applications from Visual Studio 2012+

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... windows-xp

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/ ... 20645.aspx

I will now try to run these EXE files in Ubuntu using Wine.


I've updated the links, try them now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 97
So now it works on XP (and it also runs on Ubuntu using Wine) but on XP every time I try to walk into another room/scene the game crashes with the following message:

Code:
C++ Runtime Library
Program: residualvm.exe
File: f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\dbgdel.cpp
Line: 52
Expression: _BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse)


If I try to "ignore" the error, they just keep piling up:
Code:
File: f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\dbgheap.c
Line: 1322
Expression: _CtrlIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData)


Code:
File: f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\dbgheap.c
Line: 1328
Expression: _BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse)


Code:
Heap Corruption Detected: before free block (#524297) at 0x0277E8F8. CRT detected that application wrote to memory before start of heap buffer.


And then it finally closes itself.


Also, "Software Rendering" must be ON. If it's OFF then you can't see the addons.

Before the crash Residual console shows:
Code:
WARNING: !!!! Trying to call MakeSectorActive without a scene!
WARNING: Looking for side texture for "mo_ddtws"!
WARNING: Looking for side texture for "mo_winws"!


I'm guessing this all happens cause I'm using 32-bit Win XP.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:51 am
Posts: 324
Location: aka ThunderPeel2001
Hmm... Opening ZIP:

Warning: skipping "residualvm.exe". The 32-bit CRC stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the 32-bit CRC stored in the central header


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:36 pm
Posts: 36
JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:
Hmm... Opening ZIP:

Warning: skipping "residualvm.exe". The 32-bit CRC stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the 32-bit CRC stored in the central header


Sorry about that, i fixed them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 97
I've tried the mod on Win 7 64-bit and I still get the same errors as on 32-bit XP. Johnny, did you manage to make it work?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:36 pm
Posts: 36
ultraneonoirantihero wrote:
I've tried the mod on Win 7 64-bit and I still get the same errors as on 32-bit XP. Johnny, did you manage to make it work?


i don't know what could be causing the problem, I've tried it on two PCs with no problems.

I've made another version and removed the changes i made to the code to scale the backgrounds, i don't think this is the problem but give it a try

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqufi8sgsru2q ... m.zip?dl=0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 97
I've tried on every system I have access to and I get the same error everywhere, even on Ubuntu using Wine:

Image

Windows XP 32 bit
Windows Vista 64 bit
Windows 7 64 bit
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit

I've tried all mods: 480, 1080 & noRescale. Anyone else can support some feedback?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:48 pm 
Offline
ResidualVM Developer

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:48 pm
Posts: 177
If you have an ubuntu system, why not compile the widescreen branch yourself?
Code:
$ sudo apt-get build-dep residualvm
$ git clone --branch side-textures https://github.com/Botje/residualvm.git
$ cd residualvm
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ ../configure
$ make -j4
$ sudo make install

This will overwrite the residualvm binary installed system-wide with one that has side-textures.
Additionally, any crashes you get will have debug information we can actually use.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 97
Thanks Botje, will do.

Edit 1: Could not find sdl-config > fixed with > http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/01/how-to- ... imple.html
Edit 2: Could not initialize SDL: No available video device!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:51 am
Posts: 324
Location: aka ThunderPeel2001
ultraneonoirantihero wrote:
I've tried the mod on Win 7 64-bit and I still get the same errors as on 32-bit XP. Johnny, did you manage to make it work?


Yep. Works fine for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 97
JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:
ultraneonoirantihero wrote:
Johnny, did you manage to make it work?
Yep. Works fine for me.


Jesus Christ... it's like I'm on candid camera.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 8:06 am
Posts: 66
Try running it as Admin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:51 am
Posts: 324
Location: aka ThunderPeel2001
Maybe you could explain EXACTLY what you're doing and we might be able to spot the problem?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 97
JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:
Maybe you could explain EXACTLY what you're doing and we might be able to spot the problem?

Well it should be easy, plug n play, right? But it just doesnt work.

I downloaded all of Kavehths mods (480, 1080, noScale) on Win XP. Started the 480 version, added Grim directory which contains "widescreen" folder with my png addons. It worked as regular Residual works (fully playable, no crahes) but it didnt had addons, hm, enabled software rendering... great, now it shows addons. Walked into another room - bam, it crashed. Fiddled with fullscreen, software render, aspect ratio correction, userpatch - nothing, it still crashed.

Then i tried other mod versions. Still crashed. Tried on other Windows systems. Still crashes. Tried on 32 and 64bit Ubuntu, and it still crashes.

I started to build the mod locally, using Botjes instructions, but ran into some build problems.

It is unbelievable that on every combInation of 32bit, 64bit, Windows and Linux systems it crashes, I also gave it to a friend and he has the same problem... but all you guys here use it with no problem :)

Yes, I run it as root and super user and admin. I have to check VisualBasic and dotNet redistributables. Which versions do you have?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Widescreen mod
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:36 pm
Posts: 36
ultraneonoirantihero wrote:
JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:
Maybe you could explain EXACTLY what you're doing and we might be able to spot the problem?

Well it should be easy, plug n play, right? But it just doesnt work.

I downloaded all of Kavehths mods (480, 1080, noScale) on Win XP. Started the 480 version, added Grim directory which contains "widescreen" folder with my png addons. It worked as regular Residual works (fully playable, no crahes) but it didnt had addons, hm, enabled software rendering... great, now it shows addons. Walked into another room - bam, it crashed. Fiddled with fullscreen, software render, aspect ratio correction, userpatch - nothing, it still crashed.

Then i tried other mod versions. Still crashed. Tried on other Windows systems. Still crashes. Tried on 32 and 64bit Ubuntu, and it still crashes.

I started to build the mod locally, using Botjes instructions, but ran into some build problems.

It is unbelievable that on every combInation of 32bit, 64bit, Windows and Linux systems it crashes, I also gave it to a friend and he has the same problem... but all you guys here use it with no problem :)

Yes, I run it as root and super user and admin. I have to check VisualBasic and dotNet redistributables. Which versions do you have?


OK i finally was able to duplicate the error, the problem is with the software renderer. i was not able to find out exactly what the problem is, so someone with a better understanding of the code should look into it.

you should try it again with software render disabled, i don't get the sides when i run it in windowed mode only in fullscreen.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Forum design by ScummVM team, icons by raina, adopted for ResidualVM
curved edge   curved edge