ResidualVM logo Forum Index - ResidualVM website - Contact us - Rules Login    Register     Search curved edge
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:37 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:01 pm 

Dead project is dead... I guess i saw that coming. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 pm 

Fischkopf wrote:
Dead project is dead... I guess i saw that coming. :cry:

It's not dead! It's just sleeping! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:19 pm 
ResidualVM Developer

Does anyone know if there is any 3d remake of a grim set somewhere on the net?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:29 pm 

What do you mean a "grim set"? Every model in the game? If so, then not to my knowledge..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:49 pm 
ResidualVM Developer

No, i mean a scene, like manny's office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:34 pm 

I recall seeing Manny's office somewhere on the net, but the author had not made it available for download... If it's no secret, what do you need one for? I may be able to make one for you. Do you need it with absoulute precision? Because the dimensions of a room are a little tricky to recreate with the perspective and all...
EDIT: Also, do you need it textured as well? And which set did you have in mind?

Last edited by Nitrus on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:45 pm 
ResidualVM Developer

Well, i have no fully formed idea in mind. I wanted to see how a full 3d grim would look like. Also they could be used to make new camera angles to use in the game in some tricky places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:49 pm 

I see what you mean. I'll see if I can find one.

On another note, regarding this project, anyone still interested can continue to model, the current 3D tools are usable, but need to be fixed for some of the latter characters and models. The process is still the same, and documented in one of the previous post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:35 pm 

So, I had no luck searching the net, but I had a bit of free time, so I modelled a bit of the office. It's hard to get the right dimensions out of the warped perspectives, but it's pretty close. The lighting's a bit off, and it's missing a couple of models and detail, but here it is:

Also, seeing that I don't have much free time, I don't know if I'd be able to texture it, it requires textures that aren't available, and will take time to recreate. Also, because I kinda speed-modelled it, the geometry isn't exactly texture-mapping friendly.

P.S.: This image is composed of a regular render and AO. To get this available ingame, it would take some shader programming. SDL and OGL make this available, to somebody who has the nerves and the time to do it. Manny is from one of the previous GFDeluxe efforts, so skeleton and animation keying for him is non-existant. It could be extracted from the games' files, but I think it would be simpler just to do it manually. I will not take part in any of those tasks, time is a luxury to me :)

EDIT: Except if you only want it to create new static scenes, as you said, for some of the tricky places. This shouldn't be too difficult, only it will require adding new cameras for the game. This, I have no knowledge of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:20 pm 

Wow, it's impressive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:27 am 
ResidualVM Developer

Amazing!
Can we have the source? :)

Quote:
EDIT: Except if you only want it to create new static scenes, as you said, for some of the tricky places. This shouldn't be too difficult, only it will require adding new cameras for the game. This, I have no knowledge of.

Adding a new camera setup should be simple code-wise. The hard part is having the background and zbuffer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:58 am 

I've often wondered whether partial 3D models could be generated from the existing zbuffers?

The information there could be used to detect roughly coplanar regions, which can be converted into polygons (or partially transparent quads or something).

There would be the additional challenge of mapping the 2d bitmap points into perspective-less texture sets, which might be quite a math-heavy problem.

There would also be the problem of areas of the set that are offscreen or eclipsed by foreground objects. And areas where the zbuffer has been omitted.
Some of that could be extrapolated/repainted though, particularly when parts are visible from multiple camera angles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:58 pm 

Sorry for the long delay, had some trouble with the exporter, some bad triangulation occurred due to previous carelessness on my part. Here's the LINK.

Some things are left as they were. The ceiling is too big, I left it that way to leave space for further scaling if need be, I didn't trim the wall ornaments because I was too lazy, and Manny's chair and the ceiling lamp are missing too.

counting_pine wrote:
There would be the additional challenge of mapping the 2d bitmap points into perspective-less texture sets, which might be quite a math-heavy problem.

That can even be done in a 3D software. If you get the perspective right and align the objects, you can project an image onto them, but the images are bad, they are badly lit, too dark mostly in the corners, and a lot of needed angles are missing. I mean they are great to look at, but not to try and extrapolate anything useful out of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:32 pm 

Bah! This forum is supposed to send me an email as soon as there's any new messages, but for some reason they're not getting through. I hope to inject some more life into the project soon!

The next thing will be a progress update so we can all see where we are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:12 pm 

Have you had any luck getting HD models loading? Is there some sort of open project page? would be good to see how people can contribute!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next