About 1 year ago I started to observe data structure in Grim Fandango.
The initial thought was to completely rebuild the game form scratch.
Actually, forgetting manpower, it was not technically impossible; main issues were:
- backgrounds - smartly solved by kavehth here
- Models and anims - coded in a really painful way (*.COS and *.KEY files are the main actors of this messed up conglomerate)
So, I wrote a tool capable to make a decent order of this crap.
- Export in .dae COLLADA format
- T-pose and/or embedded animation decryption
- Materials mimicking .3do data
- UV Mapping converted to current standards
- Skeleton creation following current standards
- Hieracy folder group creation containing all dependents
It is necessary to know correlation between .3do and .key files.
All textures must be already decoded in .png format and with the original name (it is possible to produce this output by batch operations but I forgot the procedure...)
All requested files must be in the same folder.
I share with the community only the binary
file, unfortunately it is the only file I still have on my laptop